blog address: https://www.petshopdirect.com.au/
Many new cat owners have no idea what to deal with when they get their first cat. Unfortunately, they learn it through experience, in many cases, after their furniture is destroyed or their house smells awful. That’s when they understand the importance of the kitty litter and the cat scratching post.
How Important Is the Kitty Litter You Use?
The type of kitty litter
you use is significant. More precisely, the properties it has matter more than you think. Why? You will find below the main reasons:
• Absorbency. A suitable litter should absorb liquids and odours effectively, which means you won’t need to change it constantly
• Dust. Some options can produce much dust, harming your cat's respiratory system. Choose a low-dust or dust-free litter to reduce the risk of respiratory problems
• Tracking. Some types of litter can be more prone to cracking or getting stuck to your cat's paws and carried around the house. If this concerns you, look for an alternative with a clumping or non-tracking formula
• Scent. Some people prefer litter with a scent, while others prefer unscented options. Choose the one that meets your personal preference
• Eco-friendliness. If you're concerned about the environmental impact of the litter, there are several eco-friendly options available made from natural materials such as corn, wheat, or pine
Types of Kitty Litter You Can Find on the Market
Many types of kitty litter are available on the market, each with its benefits and drawbacks. You must decide which option is the best based on your needs and your pet's well-being. Below you can find a few standard options:
This is the most traditional type of litter made from mined clay that has been ground into tiny granules. It is known for its absorbency and low cost, but it can be dusty and may not be as environmentally friendly as other options.
This type of litter is made from clay or plant-based materials and is designed to form hard clumps when it comes into contact with liquid. This makes it easier to scoop out waste, but it can be more expensive than non-clumping options.
This litter is made from small, porous crystals that absorb moisture and odours. It is known for its absorbency and low dust levels. Many people choose this option because they provide the most convenience. The main downside is that it can be more expensive than other types. You should check the pros and cons of crystal litter
before you decide.
This type of litter is made from natural materials such as corn, wheat, or pine and is designed to break down more quickly in the environment. It is more eco-friendly than traditional options but may not be as absorbent or have as long a lifespan.
This litter is made from small silica gel beads designed to absorb moisture and odours. It is known for its absorbency and long lifespan, but it can be more expensive than other alternatives and may not be as eco-friendly.
This kitty litter is made from ground-up paper, wood chips, or coconut coir and is more eco-friendly than traditional options. On the other hand, it may not be as absorbent or have as long a lifespan as other alternatives.
You Need a Cat Scratching Post for Your Pet
Having a cat scratching post for your pet is a good idea. Cats have a scratching instinct, and you need a tool that provides them with a safe and appropriate outlet for this behaviour. This habit is very useful. Your cat can use it to mark its territory and keep their claws healthy and robust. This type of tool will indirectly save your furniture from being damaged by your cat. Your cat will also feel more comfortable and safer around the house.
To choose the right scratching post for your cat, you must pay attention to many factors, such as height, material, and location. For this reason, it’s crucial to have a list of requirements that will help you determine the perfect option.
How to Choose the Right Cat Scratching Post
You should not buy the first cat scratching post
you see. Consider several factors if you want your pet to use this tool.
• Size. Choose a scratching post with a height that allows your cat fully stretch. This will help your cat to get a full-body workout while scratching
• Material. Cats have a natural preference for certain materials when scratching. Some common materials used in scratching posts include carpet, sisal, and corrugated cardboard. Experiment with different materials to see which one your cat prefers
• Stability. Choose a tool that is robust and stable, so it won't tip over when your cat uses it
• Location. The location of this tool must provide easy access for your cat. This will encourage your cat to scratch it whenever it wants to. Otherwise, your pet may decide to ignore it and continue to starch other things around your house
• Multiple scratching surfaces. If you have more than one cat, or if your cat likes to scratch in different positions, consider getting a scratching post with multiple surfaces
You Can Get All the Supplies You Need from a Reliable Pet Store
You can typically find all the supplies you need for your cat at a reliable pet store. It must carry a wide range of products for cats, like:
• Food. Pet stores offer various cat food options, including wet and dry food, as well as specialised diets for kittens, senior cats, and cats with health issues
• Beds. It must have a range of cat beds, including soft beds for indoor cats and waterproof beds for outdoor cats
• Toys. Pet shops offer a variety of cat toys, including balls, mice, laser pointers, and interactive toys
• Collars, harnesses, and leashes. They have a range of collars, harnesses, and leashes for cats in various sizes and styles
• Grooming supplies. Pet stores offer a range of cat grooming supplies, including brushes, combs, nail clippers, and shampoo
keywords: kitty litter, cat scratching post
member since: Feb 02, 2023 | Viewed: 334